My position on issues and public policy starts with how I look at my job as your representative. It isn’t enough to simply say that I will represent you in St Paul. I truly believe that it is my job to represent all the people of my district and to do that I need to have both a short and long-term view and a well-informed understanding of the issues in front of me. Pandering to voters and special interests is no way to make policy. Every issue brings with it a certain amount of individual self-interest and I understand that. I will always listen to what the people of 12A want me to consider and I will try to weigh what’s best for everyone. I have a belief that to the best of my ability I should strive for fairness and equity in negotiating public policy and I believe that our communities are best served when everyone is in and no one is out. Then, we will all do better together.
Agriculture & Rural Communities
Western Minnesota is built around agriculture and small town living. Many of us have a recent connection to the family farm and some of us remain family farmers today. Farmers raise our food and steward our land. They, along with rural small businesses, remain the backbone of our small town economies. Main Street and farmers rely on one another; they help define our rural way of life and both should be preserved, protected and supported to thrive in our changing world.
I support sound policy…
- That helps rural communities, small businesses and family farms both build the local economy and contend in the global marketplace
- That supports farmers to lead as stewards of the land; where farming is both sustainable and regenerative, where a profitable farm business nurtures healthy soil, protects clean water, and promotes biological diversity
- That gives family farmers access to farm credit at reasonable terms and interest rates and gives temporary relief during economic emergencies
- To ensure that everyone has access to comprehensive affordable health care including farm families and small businesses
- Where public investment supports agricultural research and innovation including soil health improvements, cover crops, and the UMN Forever Green Initiative
- Where new and beginning farmers are supported by helping them overcome barriers to start up and are offered tools to succeed
- Where organic and locally grown products are supported as opportunities within our strong agricultural tradition.
- That secure, preserve, and reclaim markets for our western Minnesota farmers that have been disrupted by the destructive, unwise, and irresponsible tariff and trade policy of the current administration
Our climate is being disrupted. This is the only home we have and ever will have. I believe we owe it to our children, our grandchildren, and the generations after them to pass on to them a healthy, vibrant Earth. Teddy Roosevelt reminded all Americans that it was their duty to responsibly use – and not abuse – the nation’s natural wonders and natural resources. He also stressed that these wonders and resources belonged to the people and future generations. Our state is filled with natural wonders, and I want to make sure it continues that way for generations of Minnesotans to come.
I will work to see that every Minnesotan has access to high quality, affordable health care that’s available close to home. All Minnesotans have the right to affordable options and quality coverage for their unique health needs. Preventive health care should be a priority of our health care system and premium costs, treatment costs, and drug costs must be made affordable. A health crisis should not lead to a financial crisis for any Minnesota family. I support a pathway to Medicare for All and the near term and long term strategies that will get us there.
- A strong public health care option now for any Minnesotan who wants it. MinnesotaCare already delivers high quality care at a price Minnesotans can afford. This option should be extended to every Minnesotan.
- The Minnesota Health Plan brought forward by Senator John Marty is an even more comprehensive solution to Minnesota’s health care dilemma. This plan would solve our health care problems long term and ordinary Minnesotans would benefit greatly.
- Prioritizing mental health care as a right for every Minnesota family.
- Organizations that support women’s health.
I believe that every student in every Minnesota school shall have…
- Access to the same basic education that is afforded to every other student.
- Access to the full and complete range of educational professionals and student support personnel.
- Access to all necessary materials, a safe and secure school in which to pursue an education, and a properly funded educational opportunity.
I believe that every staff member of every school in the state of Minnesota shall…
- Be fairly compensated.
- Have a stable retirement system.
- Be allowed to bargain collectively.
- Be treated with respect and dignity.